News & Events
Headteacher Update to Parents/Carers 03.11.20
I hope you and your families managed to have a reasonable break over half term, despite the poor weather and the recent announcement of a second lockdown.
I thought that, in light of the lockdown decision, I would reiterate that Swanmore College will continue to function as usual. We are reviewing the most recent guidance against the measures we have in place already.
I am pleased to say that there are no major changes necessary. However, I do feel that I need to sound a word of caution. As you will have seen, Coronavirus cases in our area, although low and stable until recent weeks, have started to rise. This means that the Swanmore College community is increasingly vulnerable to any gaps in our collective vigilance. To this end, we have increased our social distancing approach on site by introducing the following changes:
- We are trialling remote year group assemblies with immediate effect, the first of which is being run by the College Council.
- To date, all staff meetings have been conducted by Zoom to ensure appropriate distancing. With immediate effect, all internal meetings will be conducted via Zoom to prevent the potential scenario of one teacher testing positive, resulting in an entire department having to be sent home to isolate for 14 days.
- When teachers are isolating and in good health, they will teach their classes from home. Their classes will be supervised on site by another member of staff to ensure that pupils are focussed and supported throughout their lesson.
- If your child is isolating at home and in good health, they are expected to follow their “live” lessons via Google classroom.
Would you please re-iterate the following at home:
- Respect social distancing.
- Encourage good hygiene habits even more than usual, especially hand washing.
In addition, we would ask you to continue to communicate with us via email email@example.com or by telephone on 01489 892256. All parent/carer meetings will be conducted by Zoom for the foreseeable future.
After-College clubs will not take place, however, Year 11 catch-up sessions will continue as scheduled.
In line with lockdown rules, our community fitness suite offer will cease for a month from Thursday.
I should like to take this opportunity to congratulate all our pupils. They have dealt with the many changes in a very mature and good hearted manner. They are wearing masks without fuss and continue to be a credit to us all.
I send you all my best wishes for a busy, happy and successful half term.
R K Jonathan