Swanmore College Medical Forms

Children's Services Health & Safety Consent Forms


In order that we can safeguard all our pupils when they come to college, we have to be made aware of all medical conditions that require management, as we can only support pupils effectively with medical needs on the most up to date information that we have.

All medicines both prescribed or over the counter must be brought into the college by a parent/carer and handed over to the Welfare Officer Miss Smith. She will then obtain the appropriate paperwork from you to ensure that we are able to administer and log all medication correctly.

It is our policy to give age appropriate doses of paracetamol to secondary age children as described on the packet, we will only administer one tablet of 500mg at second break – 12.40pm to any pupil that presents at the welfare office. The Welfare Officer and Deputy Welfare Officer will check consent, paracetamol may be administered by Welfare Officer or Deputy Welfare Officer who have received the required medical awareness training in the event of a headache, toothache, period pain or any type of mild to moderate pain. (Please see the Administering Paracetamol Policy).

We also periodically review all our IHCP (Individual Health Care Plans) and medicines permissions forms, these being sent to parents/carers for any updated information, or whether a plan can be deleted, and this requires the return of all documents signed in a timely fashion.

Any out of date medicines must be collected by parents, and replaced with in date medication.

We thank you for your assistance in safeguarding all our pupils.

Pupils on crutches

Please be aware that if a pupil sustains an injury which necessitates the use of crutches, we cannot accommodate them at the College unless parents speak with the pupil’s Head of House prior to their return. There is likely to be paperwork to be completed and signed to comply with Health and Safety regulations and there may be a need to relocate classes on a short-term basis to accommodate pupils who cannot access the stairs. Unfortunately, pupils who attend the College on crutches without the Head of House’s knowledge will have to return home until the necessary paperwork and other arrangements have been finalised.

Is my child too ill for school?

It can be tricky deciding whether or not to keep your child off school, nursery or playgroup when they’re unwell.

But there are government guidelines for schools and nurseries that say when children should be kept off school and when they shouldn’t.

If you do keep your child at home, it’s important to phone the school or nursery on the first day. Let them know that they won’t be in and give them the reason.

If your child is well enough to go to school but has an infection that could be passed on, such as a cold sore or head lice, let their teacher know.

For more information about specific illnesses please click here